Financial modelling is an increasingly important tool in business decision making. Businesses now operate in a VUCA* environment and need quick and smart insight into prospective decisions. Business analysts (in Finance, Investing, and Strategy teams) urgently require a grasp of dynamic financial models. The teams need to be able to build models based on the business’ strategic objectives and plans and use the models to provide important insight to management.
The Strathmore Institute of Mathematical Sciences has developed this course to upskill business analysis teams with tools to enable them build integrated financial models and carry out Scenario Tests and Sensitivity Analyses, and Business Valuations. Case studies on the course include financial modelling for real estate and financial modelling for manufacturing and the skills developed can be extended and applied to a variety of other
At the end of the 4 days, the participants should be able to build and use financial models to test for the impact of certain key decisions (including resilience tests) and to carry out business valuation for a variety of businesses.
*Volatile Uncertain Complex and Ambiguous
- Construct and use financial models
- Carry out scenario tests and sensitivity analyses
- Carry out business valuation
- Develop the three Financial Statements based on given inputs:
Income Statement, Cashflow Statement, and Balance Sheet
- Develop financial models that consists of integrated financial statements
- Check financial model for appropriateness and correctness
- Perform basic financial analysis
- Carry out scenario test and sensitivity analyses
- Use appropriate tools and features of MS Excel
Mode of delivery
The course delivery includes a mix of class lectures and practical (hands-on) demos and take-home assignments. However, the course assumes no pre-requisite knowledge of finance or accounting.
A Certificate of Completion is awarded at the end of the course
Course dates 2023
The 4-day course will be fully run In-person:
- May (Tuesday 9 th to Friday 12 th )
- August (Tuesday 8 th to Friday 11 th )
- November (Tuesday 7 th to Friday 10 th )
Payments and registration
- The cost for the 4-day training is Kshs 50,000/
- Registration deposit is 10% of the course fee.
- All participants require a laptop with working version of MS Excel duly installed.
Cynthia Ng’otwa | firstname.lastname@example.org 0703 034 067
John Ocheche | email@example.com 0723 999 078