The BSc. in Statistics and Data Science program is designed to produce graduates who are well-acquainted with fundamental concepts and techniques in the field of data science, statistics, mathematics, and computing. The interlinkage between Statistics and Data Sciences has seen a reinforced understanding of data from its origins, now including areas such as data architecture, data warehousing and management, data mining and data engineering.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN STATISTICS & DATA SCIENCE
Why BSc Statistics & Data Science?
The program ensures that students have a solid foundation in statistics and mathematics before moving on to more advanced coursework. The core subjects include:
- Linear Algebra
- Optimization techniques
- Probability theory
- Advanced regression analysis
Ethics, Philosophy, and other humanities
- Programming (various languages – Python, R, etc
- Computer Systems
- Machine learning
- Data Visualization
- Data mining
- Data architecture
- Data Analyst/ Scientist/ Engineer – collects, analyses and interprets data to identify patterns, trends, and gain insights to help organizations make informed decisions.
- Big data architect – designing and implementing large-scale data architectures and systems that can handle massive amounts of data.
- Data mining specialist – responsible for using advanced algorithms and techniques to extract insights and patterns from large datasets.
- Statistician – applies statistical methods to solve real-world problems in fields such as healthcare, public policy, and finance.
- Researchers & Academics – they advance the knowledge and understanding of data science through research, teaching, industry collaborations and publication.
- Data governance specialist: A data governance specialist is responsible for developing policies and procedures for managing the availability, usability, integrity, and security of data assets in enterprise systems, and ensuring compliance with data regulations. Data governance includes other specific and defined roles such as the Data Admin , Data Steward and Data Custodian.
- Data privacy and security specialist: A data privacy and security specialist is responsible for ensuring that data is protected from unauthorized access and that data privacy regulations are followed.
Why BSc. Statistics And Data Science At Strathmore University
An applicant for admission into the Bachelor of Science in Statistical and Data Sciences degree programme must satisfy one of the following minimum requirements:
- Be a holder of KCSE (or equivalent examination) certificate with a minimum mean grade of B and a minimum grade of B+ in Mathematics and B- in English
- Be a holder of A-Level (or equivalent qualification) certificate, from an Examining Body recognized by the Academic Council of the University, with a minimum of two principal passes in Mathematics/Physics, Mathematics/Chemistry, Mathematics/Geography, or Mathematics/Economics.
- Be a holder of any other qualification (with a strong mathematics base) accepted by the Academic Council of the University as equivalent to any of the above.
- An applicant who holds any of the qualifications 1(c) above may, at the discretion of the Academic Council, with recommendations from the Academic Board of SIMS, be exempted from a maximum of 49% of the course units.
- An applicant registered in another university recognized by the Academic Council may be allowed to transfer credit to the BSc. in Statistical and Data Sciences programme as per 2.7.2.