The Master of Science in Biomathematics focuses on methods of applied mathematics and mathematical modelling needed to provide quantitative answers to practical questions in biomedical research. A key characteristic of this program is the careful integration of mathematical methods with the theory and practice of modern computational biology. The objective of the Program is to produce graduates with a rigorous foundation in the mathematical modelling of biological systems, and with practical ability in biomedical modelling.
MSc Biomathematics opens up a wide range of careers such as: Agricultural and Food Scientist, Biochemists and Biophysicist, Biomedical Engineer, Geoscientist, Hydrologist, Marine Biologist, Natural Sciences Manager, Molecular Biologist among many others.
In Kenya, a graduate of MSc. Biomathematics has opportunities for a placement with companies such as:
- KEMRI-Welcome group (Kenya Medical Research Institute)
- KEFRI (Kenya Forestry Research Institute)
- KALRO (Kenya Agricultural & Livestock Research Organisation)
- ILRI (International Livestock Research Institute)
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Hydrology companies
- Kenya Navy as a Marine Biologist and other research institutions.
The course covers 16 course units offered over 4 academic semesters and a subsequent dissertation project. The program relies on MATLAB, R and C++ as the computing languages for modelling. Some of the core modules include the following:
- Modelling Biological Systems
- Stochastic Modelling
- Partial Differential Equation Modelling in Biology
- Introduction to Computational Structural Biology
- Biomedical Mathematics
- Statistical Modelling with Application to Biology
Computational Systems Biology
By the end of the programs, the student should be able to:
- Express a biological problem in mathematical terms and carry out an appropriate mathematical analysis
- Solve the resulting mathematical models analytically or numerically and interpret the solution in a manner that can be communicated effectively
- Conduct high level independent research
- Use mathematical computer packages such R, MATLAB and Maple for data analysis and/or computation
- Provide the student with the appropriate training to carry out doctoral studies at any leading institution worldwide
The Master’s program offered in Strathmore University has been tailor-made to emphasize on the dynamic and increasingly complex nature of data and statistical analysis techniques. It is structured to achieve a world class curriculum that is readily benchmarked against leading programs around the world.
- A Pioneer in Standards
Strathmore University, its alumni and its partners have always been at the forefront of business education and standards. We are the first university in Kenya to become ISO 9001:2000 certified.
- Our Internal Focus is Driven By
Fostering excellence; freedom and responsibility; ethical practice; personalised attention; subsidiarity; collegiality; lifelong learning; service to society; continuous improvement.
- Our Focus on Strong Research Basis
The foundation for all Strathmore programs is provided by international faculty and the research they carry out. Strathmore works closely with Strathmore Research and Consultancy Centre (SRCC) and biomedical institutions for biomedical research, which also undertakes research and maintains links with industry so as to keep our teaching and learning at the cutting-edge.
- Qualified Teaching Faculty & Global Exposure
Relying on a dedicated teaching staff, industry practitioners and visiting international professors in Mathematics and the world class facilities offered here at Strathmore gives the students an interdisciplinary and global experience in their learning.
- Culture of Ethics & Learning
Strathmore encourages participants to aim for high ethical standards. Case studies are selected from the best international business schools. The group interaction and participatory approach to teaching gives the participants a chance to analyse new business problems, while sharpening their business decision-making skills.
- Focus On People
Strathmore knows that it is people who matter. People are the heart of any organisation and key to sustaining any organisation. People are always our main focus in all we do. We give you personalised education, with special emphasis on human and ethical values.
- Timely Completion of Studies
Students are assured completion of their studies within a period of 2 years.
Evening Program: 5:30pm – 8:30pm
a) The following are eligible for admission into the MSc. Biomathematics:
- Holders of First Class or Upper Second in Mathematics or a related discipline; OR
- Holders of Lower Second Class degrees in Mathematics or a related discipline plus Postgraduate Diplomas in relevant areas; OR
- Holders of Lower Second Class Degrees in Mathematics or related disciplines plus a minimum of two years of working experience OR
- Holders of other related qualifications from recognized universities
b) In addition to meeting the above criteria, the applicants will be required to attend and pass an oral interview and a Graduate Entrance Examination (GEE).
c) They will also be required to present two reference letters from academic referees.
The next intake is in January 2022.
The Oral Interview and GEE are held on Wednesdays and Fridays at 2:00pm. Below are some of the requirement you need to prepare:
- Originals and Certified copies of K.S.C.E (or its equivalent), Undergraduate degree certificate and transcript of records (TOR) in English, giving full details of subjects studied and grades/marks obtained
- Two (2) completed Reference Forms from former undergraduate/graduate professors and/or employer particularly qualified to attest to the applicant’s qualification for graduate study
- Dully filled graduate studies application form NB: Reference forms and a Graduate Studies Application form can be downloaded from our website
- An updated Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- 2 current passport size photos
- Provide a copy of National Identity Card (ID)or copy of Passport
- Kshs 2, 500 Interview fee payable on the interview day.