Strathmore Institute of Mathematical Sciences offers a unique demanding but fulfilling Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme by research. This PhD by research is scheduled to take a minimum of three academic years and a maximum of five academic years delivered purely through research and thesis. Strathmore University is considered to be a centre of excellence in research. We wish to enhance this by providing facilities and support for innovative research and extension services through our unique doctorate programs.
To apply for PhD studies, the following documents should be submitted to the Strathmore School of Graduate Studies.
- One copy of the fully completed application form (obtained from the Graduate School Office).
- Original and one copy of the Undergraduate and Masters Transcript of Records (TOR) in English giving full details of subjects studied and grades/marks obtained.
- Two completed Reference Forms from former graduate professors and/or employer particularly qualified to attest to the applicant’s qualification for PhD study. These forms are available at the Graduate School Office.
- An Updated Curriculum Vitae.
- Copy of the National ID or bio page of the Passport.
- A 5-page synopsis/concept note of what you would like to research. The synopsis should be clear on:
- What your research problem is
- Why it is important to study that area
- The research gaps
- Your contribution to knowledge – new knowledge areas as well as originality in your proposed study area
- How you intend to undertake the study
- A copy of the research work undertaken at Master’s level.
- Names of at least two proposed supervisors one of whom one should be a Strathmore staff member. The other(s) can be from any accredited Kenyan university or outside Kenya.
- For more information about applying for PhD studies at Strathmore Institute of Mathematical Science, kindly send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Strathmore Institute of Mathematical Sciences offers research-based PhD studies through the School of Graduate Studies (SGS). Currently, we have doctoral programs in the following areas;
- Pure Mathematics
- Applied Mathematics
- Mathematical Finance
- Data Science