Statistical skills are important in all applied sciences such life sciences, medicine and related fields, physical sciences, social and behavioral sciences and are becoming increasingly so in emerging fields that require analysis of complex data such as marketing and finance. There is a constant demand for graduates with these skills in both industry and academia. The Masters of Science in Statistical Science offered at the Strathmore Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Strathmore University, provides an excellent balance between theory and application. The broad base of training in the important areas of statistical sciences will allow the student to successfully progress into professional employment or research.
Master of Science: Statistical Science
We prepare our graduates for a diverse range of careers including: Biostatistics, Financial analysis, Market research, Econometrics, Epidemiology, Bioinformatics, Demography, Statistical Programming, Psychometrics, and any other career choices or fields which are of interest to the students.
In Kenya, a graduate with a Master of Science in Statistical Sciences can work with research firms like IPSOS/ Synovate, Kenya National Bureau of Statistics, Africa Population and HealthCare Research Centre, UN-HABITAT, KEMRI, KEFRI, KARI, ILRI, CDC, Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development and many other firms that require the expertise of a Statistician.
The course covers 16 course units offered over 4 academic semesters and a subsequent dissertation project. The program relies on MATLAB, R, and C++ as the computing languages for modelling. Some of the core modules include the following:
- Statistical Inference
- Probability and Measure Theory
- Linear Models
- Design and Analysis of Survey
- Bayesian Modelling and Data Analysis
- Stochastic Processes
- Time series and Forecasting
- Design of Experiments
- Multivariate Statistical Analysis
- Predictive modelling and Data-mining
- The students will be able to judge, discuss and communicate the principles of estimation and inference that underpin basic statistical theory and statistical analysis
- The students will have a deeper knowledge of the use of statistical methods in empirical applications, be able to interpret, analyse, and critically evaluate results on the basis of scientific and ethical considerations
- This program will enable the students to critically, independently, and creatively identify and formulate problems of significance for statistical science.
- Provide the student with appropriate statistical and analytical training to carry out doctoral studies at any leading institution worldwide
Evening Program: 5:30pm – 8:30pm
- a) The following are eligible for admission into the MSc. Statistical Science:
- Holders of First Class or Upper Second in Mathematics or a related discipline; OR
- Holders of Lower Second Class degrees in Mathematics or a related discipline plus Postgraduate Diplomas in relevant areas; OR
- Holders of Lower Second Class Degrees in Mathematics or related disciplines plus a minimum of two years of working experience OR
- Holders of other related qualifications from recognized universities
- b) In addition to meeting the above criteria, the applicants will be required to attend and pass an oral interview and a Graduate Entrance Examination (GEE).
- c) They will also be required to present two reference letters from academic referees
The intake will be in the month of May every year.
The Oral Interview and GEE are held on Wednesdays and Fridays at 2:00pm. Below are some of the requirement you need to prepare:
- Originals and Certifiedcopies of K.S.C.E (or its equivalent), Undergraduate degree certificate and transcript of records (TOR) in English, giving full details of subjects studied and grades/marks obtained
- Two (2) completed Reference Formsfrom former undergraduate/graduate professors and/or employer particularly qualified to attest to the applicant’s qualification for graduate study
- Dully filled graduate studies application form NB:Reference formsand a Graduate Studies Application form can be downloaded from our website
- An updated Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- 2 current passport size photos
- Provide a copy of National Identity Card (ID)or copy of Passport
- Kshs 2, 300Interview fee payable on the interview day.
Kindly fill the form the form below to register